Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Rain and the Bureaucracy

Well, if I was ever homesick, I needn't have worried. The rainy season has started, and it's looking a lot like fall in Valpo. That is to say, everyone has wet ankles and my hair is a huge poofy mess all the time. We've been told by a couple people that it'll be basically like this until about February, when it snows. Then it'll rain some more until about April. Great. I suppose I should get used to it. I invested in more mousse and gel today, so hopefully that'll help.

One thing I've noticed so far in France (and it hasn't really been a surprise) is that in getting all my documents turned in, there are a TON of hoops to jump through. Offices to visit, papers to mail in, meetings to set up. Considering I have never had this exact experience in the US, I can't say that things would be different there. But for my experience, things are slightly more....streamlined in the US. It's just interesting to experience the way business is taken care of here.

Anyway, I've just been running errands and getting stuff done these past couple days. Yesterday I went to school to try to work out a schedule with the English teachers. I struggled to keep up with the conversation, but in the end I think I have a pretty good schedule. I'll be following about 7 or 8 different classes, which might be tough at times, but I'll just have to be very organized. After the meeting, we all walked down to the pub on the corner and had a beer together. Anne-Marie brought her 5 1/2 year old daughter so that I could meet her. She asked if I'd be willing to babysit, and of course I said yes! Her daughter is adorable and was kind of shy, but she warmed up a little when I let her blow air in my face with a straw, haha.

Also, I've been eating awesome things. For lunch yesterday I had a kebab from a tiny restaurant on the street, with fries and a peach iced tea. It's basically my favorite meal in France, and I really enjoyed it after the rainy bus ride home. Reminded me a lot of Cergy...


Then today after grocery shopping, I enjoyed a very French lunch of baguette, cheese (Caprice des Dieux, my FAVORITE), and a tart Granny Smith. Yum.

Tomorrow is a big day: huge training meeting in Nantes. I'm wondering what exactly will be covered...
I'm supposed to start teaching next week Tuesday, but my teachers reminded me that a teachers' strike is starting on Tuesday...so I'm not really sure what will happen. It depends on who participates in the strike, I guess. I'm excited to experience this beloved French tradition first-hand!

2 comments:

  1. oh wow that just looks SUBLIME! you know how sometimes people need happy thoughts when they are down? well that image will be my happy thought from now on! also, training in nantes and following 7-8 classes...wowza! they're keeping you busy, huh? good luck with all the preparations and can't wait to read about it soon!
    bisous, pooja

    ReplyDelete
  2. send more photos!

    ReplyDelete